Tuesday, September 9, 2008

rushdie wonder

He is an incredibly talented storyteller, that Salman Rushdie. I just finished one of his books. Read Midnight Children last year, another this year (finished it over the last weekend, the book was a Valentine gift), and have one more, Shalimar The Clown, which I'll put off till next year, when I'd be ready again to take on Rushdie. That's how it feels like when I embark on reading his work, something to 'take on'. I've got to psyche myself to face a twisted, mind-boggling, wow ride of a read.

I shan't try to be a book reviewer for I don't think I know how to do that, but in my own simple words, I'd best describe his work as a true challenge to read. My Dad aptly said of him, ".. if we find him a tough read, we're perhaps not ready intellectually to read him." Yes, he could be right.

Rushdie demands all of you, his narrations are intense, he commands your fullest attention, stray for a moment and you'd have to re-read some passages to understand what he's saying, to not miss the least bit of his creativity. His stories are multifaceted and the characters, colourful and vast. And he doesn't care to make it easier for the reader by giving his characters simple names. His work is staggering brilliance.

Sir Salman Rushdie is a genius.. and that's putting it mildly.

No comments: